In June 1881, Midway Station was established on the Texas and Pacific Railroad. Named for being midway between Dallas and El Paso, Midway Station did not serve much purpose other than being a stop for the train. Then in 1882 Herman N. Garret, a sheepherder from California, moved into town as a permanent resident. Not long after, several ranchers followed and settled down.
In January 1884, there were enough people who called Midway home for there to be a post office. Because there were other cities in Texas named Midway, the post office could not be established there until they changed their name, and so it was changed to Midland. Later this same year, a real estate firm in Ohio bought land, created the Midland Town Company, drilled three wells, and auctioned off the land in the little town. By 1885, one hundred families resided in Midland. Midland pulled out of Tom Green County to go to help established Midland County, which Midland was the county seat of. In 1886, a courthouse, a Baptist church, a Methodist church, and a school were built. The town’s newspaper, the Midland Gazette, called the town “the Queen City of the South Plains.”
By 1890, Midland had become the most important cattle shipping centers in the state. Midland began to grow after this, and there was the need for a little heavier police force. The first county jail was officially established and put into use in 1909. Then by 1910 it was necessary for the city to get a fire department and a new water system. Along with the fire department and new water system, the city of Midland established Midland Christian College and the population grew to over two thousand citizens.
The city changed greatly once they struck oil in 1923 in the Permian Basin by Santa Rita No. 1 well in Reagan County. Not long after, oil was found again, this time in Yates Oil Field in Iraan. Because of the amount of oil in the area, Midland became the administrative center of West Texas. As the oil business grew, it became necessary that the city established a Chamber of Commerce, which they did in 1924.
In 1929, the first newspaper started: the Midland Reporter-Telegram. The newspaper mostly reported on the oil business and some smaller local news stories. The Yucca Theater also was established this year. The first museum, the Midland County Historical Museum, was built in 1932. KRLH Radio began broadcasting in 1935. During World War II, Midland was home to the largest bombardier training base in the country. By this time the city had grown exponentially-reaching far over nine thousand citizens. Then in 1946, the Midland Army Air Force Base closed.
Today, Midland, Texas has grown to over 135,000 citizens and several great restaurants. It is known for producing a great portion of Texas’s oil, has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the United States, and is George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush’s home town.
If you have a home or business in Midland Texas, call on Chappell Roofing to come and inspect your roofing system. We’ll give you a free roof inspection and estimate.